Sunday, July 8, 2012

Because I Can!

One of the best parts of my Sunday morning is that I get to sleep in a little bit.  PHouse doesn't open until 3PM, so that gives me a little lounging time.  Granted, my baby dog Violet is an alarm clock that howls a wee bit earlier than I care for, but that's ok, as she goes outside and does her thing then comes back in for playtime until I get up to provide breakfast.  Today she and Tank enjoyed prime rib steak tips (left from the 4th cookout) with their food.  YUMMY!

The second best part of Sunday is that I get to decide what PHouse will have for a dinner special.  We've had people call us on Thursday or Friday... even Saturday asking "What's the dinner special?"  The PHouse team laughs and says, honestly, "We have no idea!"  I just kinda depends on my mood... if it's hot, or cold outside... a lot of times I think about my Grandpa B and Gramps P, and wonder what they would want on that particular day.  Both men were easy to please, and definitely "meat and potatoes" guys, so a lot of the time I prepare something that is a "full meal".  Tonight it's roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy and vegetable.  To top it off, we'll do homemade shortcakes with strawberry/raspberry filling and whipped cream.  Enough food for 2 people, but a "Grandpa-kind-of-meal".  I also thought of my dear friend Mimi.  Mimi lives at the Lake of the Ozarks.  She and Leo are quite the "team" having been married longer than either can remember.  They are a meatball-making-duo that was kind enough to share their secret with me.  For whatever reason, I was thinking of Mimi, and thus we'll also have a savory Meatball Sandwich & chips on the menu.  The sauce is simmering, the "balls" are rolled and in the freezer, and around 4:30PM they'll be added to the pot for cooking.  The spices and meat flavors infuse the sauce and POW!  It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  Two of those perfectly seasoned meatballs, sauce, melted mozarella cheese on a soft wheat hoagie... another YUMMY!  (a little tricky to eat, but messy-goodness!)

So, I don't choose the menu until Sunday, because it "just kinda depends" on my mood and where my head is.  It's not the popular decision among our patrons who "WANT TO KNOW" but, it's the way we're gonna do it... just because I can!  What you can be sure of is that regardless of my mood, my memories, or the weather, the Sunday Special will be great!

Cheers and enjoy this little-bit-cooler Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment