Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lots to be thankful for this weekend!

Well, this weekend we remember our loved ones, make the traditional treks to the cemetaries, and honor our military.  It's a special time of reflection on many levels.  It's also the first anniversary of the Pour House Tasting Room's existence.  Yes!  One year ago Sherry, George, Lindsey, Rachel and I welcomed about 100 alumni folks into the brand-spankin' new tasting room.  We didn't have one clue what we were doing.  Hell, Rachel had NEVER used a Rabbit wine opener.  But we stumbled through it, and here we are a year later.
So, Sherry is out pursuing her crazy sales life, but she still pops in and bails us out when we're super busy.  George has moved on to another kitchen, here and/there, but he too is a trooper when the goin' gets tough.  Lindsey has a real job, but doesn't hesitate to bus the glasses or get a glass of water if we can't get to it quickly, and Ms Rachel has returned to her glam-life in the big city, but still pops in when she's visiting her folks.  I couldn't have done this little project without all of these people, my dad and brother, and of course, the volunteers from the Historical Society who put hours of construction and cleaning labor into getting the doors open. 
Things have evolved.  My "A" team is in place, and now I could not do what it is that PHouse does with out Tina, Noelle, Chris, Todd, Rebecca & Carolyn helping out in the kitchen, and of course my dear dear pretend husband Mike, who has my back, my front, my sanity and my admiration. I could not have been blessed more.  I rely on these peeps daily to keep my head above water.  We've welcomed thousands of people to Friend- YES, our sleepy little town has visitors... it's crazy cool!  We are selling literal boat-loads of some of the best Nebraska wines, and sharing the great renovation and restoration effort stories with everyone we can.  The word is out.  Our friend Mason Douglas says we're the "coolest wine bar in the Midwest"-  he gets aroud.. I'll take his word for it!  We're nestled beneath the coolest sleeping beauty of an opera house that there is (yep, 1 0f 9 of Nebraska's hidden treasures), and we are looking so forward to this next year.  Partnering with the new Mary Mary Quite Contrary gallery- we plan to bring even more wine tasters, talented artisans and musicians and eclectic wine sippers to Friend.  Onward.   Upward.  No clue what's next, but we'll roll with it!
My sincere thanks to everyone who has had a hand in this adventure.  My mid-life crisis project is officially a year old.  I could not be more appreciative or grateful.  Thank you, and much love to all.
c

No comments:

Post a Comment