Monday, June 20, 2011

The Update from Me- Happy, Sad, A Nice Break!

Well, some weather we're having here huh?  And in Superior too, where I was at the Screenwriter's Colony Workshop... until Saturday.  I returned to PHouse to help... about 4 hours too late!  We had people standing, shoulder to shoulder... Kansas City, Topeka, Omaha, you name it and someone might have been there.  Crazy busy doesn't even come close.  I can't thank Mike, Tina, Chris, Todd, and our super volunteers Connie and Carolyn, for jumping up, jumping in and keeping up our fantastic service and great food reputation.  I got back just in time for a quick adult beverage- and 2 hours of dish washing.  Sunday, well belated happy Father's Day- Chris and Todd cranked out an amazing special- and I'm still snacking on the bread pudding (a new feature on Sundays)!

So, some sad news- we had an unexpected death in our family.  A good man; kind and generous.  Bob, I will miss you.  The Colony experience has been cut short.  There is just too much going on to focus on "The Undoing of Virigina Babcock"- but stay tuned.  We're about 3/4 done with Act I... it will become a script sooner or later.  We did have a special treat when Jon Bokenkamp visited us for a reading of his pilot (maybe HBO) drama mystery script.  WAY TOO MUCH fun!  So, my fellow Colony-ites and Lew bid me a teary and hug-filled "see you again soon" hug, complete with the traditional front porch picture... I'll post it when I get it.  A funny to end the sad departure-  our young Toni- the young woman who helps us with copies, coffee and laundry... DID not KNOW who JACK NICHOLSON was!  :)  Ahhh  blissful youth!  Where did mine go?

I digress... I swung past Superior Estates Winery to pick up our inventory (Nate- thanks again for loading my Jeep) and his mom Kelly, as super as always, made time from pruning in the 90 degree windy day to say hi.  I met their new winemaker, Dominic-  a charming man, not from here, who has a fantastic accent, an obvious gift for enology, and great goals.  Welcome to Nebraska Mr. Winemaker!  I hope you love Superior and you do great things! The "follow me and chat", taste this and that... now with 3% sugar (just a pinch too much) was a beautiful break from my sad day.  I appreciated it more than anyone will know.

So, now I'm back at home.  Cat's are thrilled I'm here.  I had some fantastic smoked ribs, courtesy of my 3 year old nephew Jake, my niece Kate and sis-in-law Tiphanie.  Am going to sip on a little wine- watch a re-run, then endulge in the leftover bread pudding before I call it a day. 

Cheers to you- stop past the PHouse- we're restocked with Nissen and Superior Estates (added a lovely new red) and we'll hope to be restocked on 11th Harvest by Thursday when we open again.

Hugs
Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment